About the Corbin Area
Located in Whitley County off I-75, Corbin is situated in southeastern Kentucky's "Valley of Parks" and offers a wealth of outdoor recreational opportunities, including mountain climbing, river rafting, rock climbing, hiking, horseback riding, fishing and the Daniel Boone Motocross Park.
Outdoor attractions around the Corbin area include Laurel River Lake, a 5,600-acre recreational lake; Cumberland Falls State Resort Park, known as the "Niagara of the South;" Levi Jackson Wilderness Road State Park, which includes the Mountain Life Museum; and the Daniel Boone National Forest.
Corbin is also famous as the founding place of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Colonel Harland Sanders developed his secret recipe here in the 1940s. Tourists can still dine in the restored restaurant and enjoy the annual World Chicken Festival held the last full weekend of September in downtown London. The festival, which attracts more than 200,000 visitors, includes live entertainment, rides, a carnival midway, a car show, exhibits and the world's largest frying pan.
Other area attractions include the Thomas Museum of Kaizer-Frazer Cars; the Kentucky Community Crafts Village where mountain craftsmen demonstrate and sell their crafts in cabins; and the Renfro Valley Entertainment Center, Kentucky's country music capital.
With a population around 9,000 Corbin offers a small town quality of life, but is within an hour-and-a-half drive of both Lexington, Kentucky to the north and Knoxville, Tennessee to the south. Higher education is also within easy reach, with the following universities within a 20-minute to 120-minute drive:
- Cumberland College (20 minutes)
- Eastern Kentucky University (60 minutes with a satellite campus in Corbin)
- Somerset Community College (75 minutes)
- Lincoln Memorial University (Nursing program on Baptist Regional Medical Center campus)
- Union College (30 minutes)
- University of Kentucky (120 minutes with a satellite campus in London)
For more information about Corbin, visit the web sites below:
- Chicken Festival
- Cumberland Falls State Resort Park
- Daniel Boone National Forest
- London Home Page
- Fishin.com offers fishing reports for Kentucky, fishing news, state statistics, fishing predictions, tournament schedules and more.
- Kentucky Community Crafts Village
- Levi Jackson Wilderness Road State Park
- NIBROC which is Corbin's Annual Festival
- Renfro Valley Entertainment Center
- University of Louisville Kentucky Places/Whitley County
- Corbin Independent Schools
- Knox County Public Schools
- Laurel County Public Schools
- Whitley County Public Schools
Corbin Tourist & Convention Commission
101 North Depot Street
Corbin, KY 40701