In order to bring you the best possible user experience, this site uses Javascript. If you are seeing this message, it is likely that the Javascript option in your browser is disabled. For optimal viewing of this site, please ensure that Javascript is enabled for your browser.
Medical Services Patients & Visitors Health Library For Medical Professionals Quality About Us
Text Size:  -   +  |  Print Page  |  Email Page

A History of Corbin



By 1900, the population had grown to 1,500 and presently, the population is nearly 9,000 in the city of Corbin. Most of the Corbin area lies in Whitley County, leaving the remaining area in Knox and Laurel counties. It is also in the center of the eastern half of the United States. City limits include about 80 percent falling in Whitley County with remaining 20 percent in Knox County. The population of the Corbin area is estimated at nearly 40,000. Corbin is the home of Cumberland Falls located at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park, which is part of the Daniel Boone National Forrest.

Cumberland Falls is 125 feet wide and 60 feet tall. It is known as the little Niagra. The mist of Cumberland Falls creates the only Moonbow in the Western hemisphere and can be viewed at certain times each month during clear weather.

Corbin is also the birthplace of the original Colonel Sanders Cafe and Museum (Kentucky Fried Chicken). The restaurant has been restored as a replica of the original and is now a museum and dining room serving traditional Kentucky Fried Chicken foods. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Corbin also boasts Laurel River Lake, a 6,000 acre clear lake located within ten minutes of the city. The lake is open for fishing, boating, swimming, camping, picnicking, as well as other lake activities. Laurel River Lake is a protected lake, prohibiting the development of any housing or businesses on the lake property.